Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In The Pipe: Scott's To-Read List for December (2011 Edition)




It snowed today for the first time since last winter.

I love snow. I love winter.  Most of the people I know who regularly drive in the winter dislike it and tell me I’d hate it just as much if I drove regularly in it. I don’t think that’s the case. In fact there is a part of me that simply likes winter, and snow because of the ideal that yearly rattles around my skull about a Dickensian Christmas.

Thoughts of candles, frosted windowpanes, roaring fires, twinkling lights, fresh pine trees, and delicious food. Snow so thick you can’t see your hand in front of your face, blanketing the world in bright shining white. Families gathering to spend the holidays with one another. Most of all, besides my excitement at the prospect of pure, undiluted Dicken’s-style Christmas, winter gives me one more thing. It allows me to curl up under a big, rumply blanket, plunk myself down in an oversized easy chair and read books.

Where am I headed with this? Well, with December starting tomorrow I thought I’d trundle out the list of books that are on the reading schedule for the rest of the year.

Currently Reading:

BROKEN ANGELS (Takeshi Kovacs book #2) – Richard Morgan

I read the first book, ALTERED CARBON over a year ago, and really enjoyed it. So it was only a matter of time until I got to the other books in the series. I’m about a quarter of the way into this one and I’m enjoying it even more than the first.










THE FOUNDING (A GAUNT’S GHOSTS OMNIBUS) – Dan Abnett

Warhammer and Warhammer 40K from The Black Library are a series of books that I have heard about from all corners of my fellow book nerds and just have never gotten around to reading. Considering the sheer amount of books that exist in these two universes, I finally decided to take the plunge and get reading them. Beginning where the website and various people have told me to start, with the story of the Imperial Guard, the Tanith First And Only and their commander, Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I’m only about 75 pages in, but I’m already blown away and enjoying the hell out of this book.





On Deck for December:

THE BUTCHER OF ANDERSON STATION (short fiction) – James S.A. Corey

A short piece that I downloaded for my Kindle concerning the past of one of the major character’s (Fred Johnson) from Corey’s debut sci-fi, space opera LEVIATHAN WAKES (which I quite enjoyed) that I am looking forward to getting into.









THE VISCOUNT & THE WITCH (short fiction) – Michael J. Sullivan

A short piece that takes place 10 years prior to the first book in the author’s amazing Ryria series. It concerns the early relationship of Royce and Hadrian and an early adventure together. This should be a good one!











PERCEPLIQUIS (Ryria #6) – Michael J. Sullivan

Apparently, I was put on the short-list to receive an ARC of the final book in the Ryria series from Orbit, and I don’t think I can even explain properly my excitement about getting to read the final book in Sullivan’s series. WINTERTIDE was such a doozy of a cliffhanger that I can’t even wait for the last one!











THE SIMARILLION – J.R.R. Tolkien

I’ve put this one off for years, and I think it might finally be time to try to settle down and read this one. I have heard from various people over the years that it is a tough read, and that it reads more like a historical middle-earth encyclopedia than a novel. Still, I want to be able to get it under my belt as I have read LOTR so many times.










VICIOUS CIRCLE (Felix Castor #2) – Mike Carey

I really enjoyed the creepy, urban fantasy vibe that Carey sent out in the first book, THE DEVIL YOU KNOW, and I am really looking forward into seeing what sort of insane, truly frightening situation that Felix gets into next.










 

MEMORIES OF ICE (Malazan #3) – Steven Erikson

Continuing with my massive full series Re-Read, I actually have fond memories (pun intended) of reading MOI for the first time near Christmas, so what better time of year to start my Re-Read?An absolutely amazing book that I cannot wait to get back into.












 Okay, so I’ll admit that those last 3 books are probably a huge pipe dream, as I’ve only got 3 feasible weeks in which to read all this. A major component of that being the same reasoning as last year: All of my family and friends are aware that books are my life and huge lists have gone out to them. Thus, as of Christmas Day all bets are off as to what I will be reading. With a refreshment of the To-Read pile done present-style, I’ll probably jones to read one of them. At any rate, January, as always will prove to be a month in which I will have WAY too many books to read.

What are you all reading as 2011 comes to a close?

1 comment:

  1. The Silmarillion? yikes, have fun with that. I'm going to attempt to tackle Tolkien's The Children of Hurin. I've heard it's his best work, I've also heard it reads like a lobotomy. so we'll both see. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...