Friday, June 24, 2011

The Great Malazan Re-Read!



Well, it's that time. It's still a few weeks till the release of the latest ASOIAF title A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, and in the interim I have begun what is to be my summer project and that's a re-read of my favourite series of all time. Steven Erikson's MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN series.

So last night, for the first time since 2003 (when I started the series) I started into the first book GARDENS OF THE MOON again. At only a hundred pages into it I realize just how layered this series really is. How much is mined even in the first book that matter down the road. Erikson put so much in that makes a re-read so decidedly rich. Heck, even the chapter preludes are far more telling and mean so much more to me now. It's like seeing a movie you already love from a different angle and being able to enjoy it on another level.

So, over the course of the summer I will be popping in to put up reviews of each book as I re-read them, starting with this one when I finish it. So if you are a fan, or haven't even heard of the series, stay tuned, come along with me on a journey through the warrens to a place where war, magic and societies clash.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the journey! I did a re-read leading up to "Dust of Dreams" in 2009 and like you say, it was an awesome experience. You do get to enjoy it even more on the re-read when you get all the extra layers....

    I am planning to do another re-read probably in 2012 so yes I know how much you will enjoy it. Obviously thie, too is my all-time favoourite series. I don't understand people who don't like these books ;-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...